RES Student Council Meeting
October 12, 2016
Attendance: Loni Sala, Jen Smith, Carmen Lowry, Mr.Hogg, Elaine Ross, Jamie Jensen,
Lindsey Baldry, Tasha Reeve, Connie Shurtz, Cheri Gilbert, Lyndsi Coppieters, Jessica Salmon, Rachel Miller.
Rachael: Thank you to all who have helped volunteer & fill spots when needed. We really appreciate the help with different activities.
Voting of Members;
· Communications Director- Connie Shurtz
All in Favor- Majority Vote
· Member at large- Christal Bevans
All in Favor- Majority Vote
Connie: Divisional School Council Meeting
· Round table reports with other schools
· Activities done at different schools & RES ; Back to school night, meet the teacher night , Christmas program & selling $1 raffle tickets, science fair, 1st day of school breakfast
· There is a strong focus on the First Nations ; SLA’s Gr. 3
· Divisional Goals ; Literacy Blankets where given to all Gr. 1 students as well as a book.
The Division as a whole wants to have every student reading at their grade level & promote reading.
· Communications to parents is very important.
· Parent Council is there to provide administration & staff with support. We can offer suggestions & we are here to plan/follow through with activities
· There is a Meeting Monday October 17, 2016 @ 7pm at the Public Library on the
West Side of Lethbridge
Lindsey: Family School Dance Overview
· Next year we would like a council member taking pictures
· Volunteering & cake donations were wonderful! Thank you!
· Everyone will need to have a specific job next time so all spots are covered
· Entrance $612.00 ; Auction $1759.50 – Total Amount $2371.50
Expense $175; Money left for movement equipment is $2,196.50.
· We will be buying bigger pieces for now & doing a classroom rotation of who uses them
· $1,000 was committed to the S.O.S program from last year
· Winners by division, DV 1 -Bohner DV 2 -Fairbanks
· Santa’s Gone Loonie- will help Magrath but we aren’t taking a big role in that this year
· This year our school will be doing the Christmas Shoe Boxes & assignments will be handed out by class.
Loni: Alberta School Council Meeting
· Alberta School Councils video
· Provincial achievement test results
· Focus on the lower division literacy effort
· Communications – email, newsletters, etc. for parents
· School Council newsletters
· How do we feel RES is doing in communications? Improvements?
· Do we have an effective school council?
· We want to enhance student educations for all students
· Purpose of Student Council is to be involved
Mr.Hogg & Elaine Ross: Literacy Project
· Each Gr.1 student was given a blanket & book at an opening assembly
· We are promoting an early love for reading & the blankets are meant to be with them when they doing their reading
· We are doing continued education classes for our teachers to assist them in new learn techniques in teaching literacy
· Robyn Bright has been a special teacher guest in running a class to promote new styles of teaching. She is coming for two hours every five weeks & each teacher has a book written by her to study out of.
· We are looking at the idea in the future of having a link for parents to get some of the same training our teacher is receiving.
· The new bookshelf by the front door of the school is the give a book/take a book
Each child in the school is allowed to take a book & return it with a new one or the same one they borrowed. We are wanting them to read as many new books as they can.
· Student Council would love to have a teacher come & present for us some of the things that are being learned in the extra literacy classes.
· We are encouraging family reading
· We have some reading intervention programs that we are starting to enhance reading experiences
· There is a new bulletin board by the office & it is a “get caught reading”. Parents can send in pictures of their children reading a book wherever
· Grade teams are meeting every 5 weeks to discuss students, concerns & reading levels of each child in the school
· Would there be people on the council or community who would like to head up the reading blankets? It would be 100+ blankets to give to the next coming years of Gr.1 students
· Monday farm safety will start
· October 18 & 19th- book fair in the library
· October 25th -morning only picture retakes
· October 31st -Halloween & the parade @1:00
· November 3rd- Gr. 6 Play
· November 10th – Remembrance Day program @ 10am
Jen W. & Rachael: Healthy Snack Fridge
· There is a letter being sent out to tell the purpose & rules of conduct with the fridge
· We now have cutting lists & people from the committee will be calling to have people help them.
· We would still LOVE to have people volunteer cutting & bagging items for the fridge
· Petty Cash System?
Next Parent Council Meeting is Wednesday November 9, 2016 @ 9:00am